Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Religion 3.0


Last week in class we discussed Religion and social media. We discussed in class that St. George is predominantly LDS community and how non-members are often overwhelmed with the amount of religious messages they receive on social media and how they are expected to receive and digest those messages. Over the past few years the LDS church has embraced social media and begun to use it as a tool to do missionary work.


I am new  to the Facebook world, but over the past week I have been paying close attention to the number of religious posts that are on  my timeline. I would have to admit that probably somewhere in the range of 40% of the things my friends post on Facebook have a religious message. I guess this should not be surprising when we consider that religion or beliefs are embedded in or identities deeper than almost any other thing. The LDS culture is a way of life and people tend to send messages about their life.

The thing that has been most surprising to me, is what I realized about myself. For some reason, I actually very seldom click on the religious post, if I can identify that is what they are. I wondered to myself, why this is? Maybe I'm looking for a little get away from the culture I actually reside in. Interesting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment